HOME                  SHOP                  ABOUT                  PORTFOLIO

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Paris in the old days

"Eugène Atget was the photographer of Old Paris" (Andreas Krase)

Continuing on the Paris theme, I thought I'd dig up this post from my old blog's archives. Yes, that's lazy, but I have an assessment on Monday so I'll do a better post after that.

These historic photos were taken between 1897 and 1927 in and around Paris. Atget captured the many different facets of Paris in the early 20th century and is now considered one of the most important photographers in the history of art.
I love the way these photos have a kind of eerie 'ghost town' look to them.. and I love the old posters plastered all over the walls! (Oh, and yes, the second photo is the Sacré Couer in construction!)

1atgets

2atgets

3atgets

4atgets

5atgets

6atgets

7atgets

8atgets

9atgets

10atgets

All photos from 'Eugène Atget's Paris' (Taschen) - I have the small paperback version, so it was a bit hard to scan!

6 comments:

Inez said...

Wow! I LOVE them

Passport Smiles said...

God, I love Paris. These photos make me miss it even more. It's neat to see how much the city has and hasn't changed

Unknown said...

great post xxxx

Julie said...

wow, those photos are amazing! great blog! :)

BrooklynBlonde said...

beautiful pics!

Taylor Sterling said...

wow what amazing photos! I love seeing old pictures!