HOME                  SHOP                  ABOUT                  PORTFOLIO

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sixties London Fashion Boutiques

My dissertation was all about London's fashion boutiques in the late 50s and 60s. They may just look like funny little shops now, but their approach to visual merchandising and customer service was revolutionary at the time. I wish there were more colour photos of the boutiques but you can see a lot of the boutiques in colour in this video.

Carnaby Street




Bazaar
Owned by Mary Quant, Alexander Plunket-Greene & Archie McNair, King's Road

Biba
Owned by Barbara Hulanicki & Stephen Fitz-Simons, Kensington


Granny Takes a Trip
Owned by Nigel Waymouth, King's Road






Hung On You
Owned by Michael Rainey, King's Road




The Shop

Male W.1.
Owned by John Stephen, Carnaby Street

Apple Boutique
Owned by The Beatles, Baker Street

I was Lord Kitchener's Valet
Owned by Ian Fisk, Portobello Road


Foale & Tuffin
Owned by Marion Foale & Sally Tuffin



Top Gear
Owned by James Wedge & Pat Booth, King's Road


Bus Stop
Owned by Lee Bender

6 comments:

Avalonne Hall said...

What a fun dissertation to write??? Jealous. Sometimes I wish I were a fashion student, but I love film too much! Fashion is definitely my second choice. That's why I try to incorporate as much fashion in my life and films as possible! Good luck with writing the dissertation :)

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

Gosh, can you imagine actually LIVING in this time period? There's something so quintessential about it...

But then again, who knows, maybe we'll be saying the same thing about that in decades to come! (Though hard to believe.)

Thanks so much for stopping by!
QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

! want to go to Carnaby Street!-then and now.

Kira Aderne said...

I also love the charming little boutiques of London, such a great work!
Also thanks so much for being so sweet to me,

love,

Kira

P R I M O E Z A said...

i sometimes wonder how we'll look back on how things were done in the '00s.

Layla Alice said...

ah.... marvelous, beautiful pics!!!! Michael Rainey, owner of Hung on you was then married to Jane Ormsby-Gore, who did wonderful jobs for Vogue, David Mlinaric, Christopher Gibbs and so on.... how I wish I had lived in that beautiful times!!!peace!