HOME                  SHOP                  ABOUT                  PORTFOLIO

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gould's Book Arcade, Newtown

While procrastinating on Twitter today I came across these photos of Newtown shopkeepers by Nic Bezzina. The photo of Gould (6th pic) reminded me that I took some photos inside his shop a few weeks ago. Gould's bookshop is a bit of a Newtown institution, having been here for over twenty years. The two story emporium (about the size of two tennis courts, according to their website!) is completely packed with second hand books, magazines, videos, records, cassettes and maybe a few CDs. They're open late every night so my boyfriend and I often go after we've been out for dinner and spend about an hour wandering around, usually walking out with a big stack of books!

aSL370378

aSL370382

aSL370383

aSL370384
The cat pathway - always kept clear to allow the shop's cat to get in and out! The second sign is a warning about 'Intruder Cat' who apparently looks very similar to Shop Cat but is not welcome inside the shop! The sign says how to tell the difference between the two cats and instructs customers not to interact with Intruder Cat. I'm not sure whether Intruder Cat is still a problem, but there is a small sign at the counter now telling people not to ask about the shop's cat because they are too distressed to talk about it. So I'd say the cat pathway is more of a memorial now...

aSL370379

aSL370380

aSL370385

aSL370381

Don't forget to do my survey if you haven't already! Thanks!

5 comments:

Joanne Faith said...

That place looks amazing! There is one little second hand book-shop that I quite like but it's nothing compared to the amazing-ness of that place. :)

ps - where is this survey?

frockandrollonline.com said...

Oh my, what an amazing bookstore! It reminds me of this one down the road from my place, which I've always thought would be the most incredible place to take photos!

Barbara von Enger said...

I think I would feel at home there amongst all those books. Have a happy weekend;-)

La_Flaneuse said...

Wow! I'd love to get lost in there! I love crazy bookstores like this!

bubbs :)

www.paris-on-my-mind.blogspot.com

Anita Puksic said...

Hey Ali!

What do you study at the uni?
Joooke! :D ;)

I've never been in bookstore like that, but I would love to get lost in there.
Cat pathway is interesting. I'm sorry for a cat, but she's probably in heaven, so she's having a good time (: I guess.
I completed your survey right now (:

Peace and love!