HOME                  SHOP                  ABOUT                  PORTFOLIO

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Draw your desk


In Frankie magazine's 50th issue last year, they had a few different artists illustrate their own desks and talk about what they like about their workspace. I love seeing where people work, and I love illustrations, so of course I thought 'Hey, I'll do a blog post on this and draw my own desk'. This was November last year, so it took me awhile to get around to it! I didn't have a desk or an apartment at the time, so I had to wait until I was kind of settled into a workspace. Then I forgot all about it until now. All of the people who contributed are amazing illustrators so make sure you click the links to have a look at the rest of their work.










My own attempt! I should have used actual paint to colour it, but sometimes I don't feel like making a mess and Illustrator is easy. So my desk is a pretty average, ugly coloured wooden study desk with drawers underneath. It came with the place and it's kind of unusually high for a desk, but I think that's probably a good thing for using a laptop all the time. Obviously my laptop dominates most of the space, with a little plant and my 'desk buddy' to the right of the laptop. 

Yeah, my desk buddy is a mini drawing mannequin with a fluoro skull and washi tape accessories.  He keeps me entertained when the internet is slow.

On the left side of my desks are a whole bunch of notebooks and a little plastic shelf thing from Muji which is filled with various index cards and post-it notes.



Obviously that's way more post it notes than the average person needs, but I like the pretty colours. I originally bought the index cards to use for our wedding guestbook, but fell a bit in love with them and now I use them every day for random lists, notes, writing down measurements etc. 

Also on my desk I keep a daily diary that my work friends gave me last year. At the time I wasn't sure that I would use it, because I've usually been more of a compact weekly diary kind of person - but that was when I was always rushing around between work and uni and everything else. Now that I work from home, I don't really need to have a diary on my all the time and this daily diary is the perfect layout for writing a daily to-do list. It's so much better than any iPhone app. Want to remember to do something on Wednesday? Write it on Wednesday's page. I'm as addicted to apps as the next Apple tragic, but I can't shake my diary, index cards and post it notes. How about you?

No comments: